Hello out there!
Who’s ready for some chicken tacos? I sure am! I love Mexican food, but I’m not crazy about ground beef – as you may remember from my post about taco chili from last fall.* I thought it’d be fun to try some tacos with chicken instead. This recipe is easy and good for leftovers. I’ve been reheating this for dinner for the last 3 nights and I’m not sick of it yet. That’s actually quite a feat – generally by day 3, I’m ready to be done with a dish. If you are looking for an easy dinner with some kick, then read on, my friend.
*I don’t actually expect you to remember that.
- 1.5 pounds of chicken breast (thawed or frozen)
- 1 packet of taco seasoning (or see below to make your own)
- 1 can (10 oz) of diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Flour tortillas
- Your favorite taco fixings (I just add lots of guacamole and tomatoes)
Make your own taco seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
What to do:
Put chicken, taco seasoning and diced tomatoes and green chilies in your Crock Pot. Cook on low for 3-4 hours if your chicken is thawed. If your chicken is frozen, cook for about 5-6 hours. Every Crock Pot cooks a little differently, so check in on it periodically. When the chicken is fully cooked, put the mix into tortillas and load them with your favorite taco toppings. Enjoy!
This turned out a little spicier than anticipated, but I like that. If you don’t like spice, I’d tone down the red pepper flakes in the seasoning or use mild diced tomatoes and chilies. I’ve been eating this all week for dinner and I’m not sick of it yet. I think guacamole is important as a topping, but it’s also one of my favorite things in life.
This recipe has been adapted from Budget Savvy Diva.