I am not sure what to call this dish other than tasty! Black bean and mushroom fajita chili was the best I could come up with because it’s not fajitas (well it could be) and it’s not a soup or stew, but it does sort of resemble a chili consistency. I dunno. The flavors work and that’s what counts!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium-sized sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, Undrained (I used fire roasted with green chiles for extra kick)
- 10 oz of white mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1.5 teaspoons of cumin
- 1.5 teaspoons of oregano
- Sharp cheddar cheese (optional, for garnish)
- Tortilla chips (optional, for garnish)
What to do:
Grease a pan with olive oil and saute the onion and green pepper over medium heat. Cook until the onion turns clearish. Add to the bottom of the Crock Pot. Add the black beans, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, cumin and oregano. Mix up and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. I cooked on high for 3 hours, which I rarely do because I’m afraid it’ll cook too fast, and this turned out great! Add the cheese with pieces of tortilla chips. Eat with a spoon. You could also serve in a tortilla like a fajita if you wish.
I’m impressed that this shaped up as nicely as it did! It’s filling and healthy – my favorite combo! This makes about 3 large servings.
Recipe adapted from Moms with Crock Pots