Hello out there!
Although it’s nearly summer, we had a couple of cold fronts come through recently prompting me to try one more oatmeal before fall. For the past couple months, I have had continual cravings for apple things. It was starting to get a little ridiculous.
- I went to the farmers market and came back with nothing but organic apple sauce (well ok, and garlic cheese curds, but that goes without saying in Wisconsin).
- I kept looking for apple cider at the Co-op before remembering it’s not the season.
- I caught myself drooling over apple cinnamon crumble recipes on my Pinterest feed.
As a creature of breakfast habit, I threw caution to the wind and abandoned my cinnamon vanilla English muffin with maple butter for something new and rebelliously off-season. As with the case of most calculatedly risky decisions, I have no regrets!
You can throw this together in 15 minutes before bed and it’s ready for you when you wake up. This will save any English muffin or toast eater approximately 2 minutes 30 seconds of precious morning time. You’re welcome.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours, 0 minutes
- 3 medium apples (I used Royal Gala), peeled, cut into 1.5 inch slices
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Walnuts for garnish
Add all ingredients except walnuts in Crock Pot and stir up. Cook on low for about 8 hours. Give it a stir in the morning and devour!
Review: This is my favorite Crock Pot oatmeal to date! It was the perfect amount of sweet for me. It is also hearty enough that it’ll keep you full until lunch time!
Recipe adapted from The Yummy Life