Happy February! I’ve been busy hibernating so far this month. How about you all? I gave up booze for the month and it’s been really a lot more difficult than anticipated. It doesn’t help that we are provided with free beer at work on Fridays. I look forward to March. And wine. Lots of wine. And maybe a margarita… Anyway, let’s talk about broccoli and beef. I had an excessive amount of broccoli in my frig so I figured it was time to give this a go. It’s easy and tasty – my two favorite things.
- 1 pound of beef (I used beef stew meat)
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of white wine (no, I didn’t drink the rest, I swear)
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 heads of broccoli, fresh (or frozen if that’s what you’ve got)
- 1/2 carton of sliced white mushrooms
What to do:
Put meat, liquids, brown sugar, garlic and red pepper flakes in Crock Pot. Make sure the meat is covered in the liquid. Cook on low for 6 hours or so. Check in around 5 hours and see if the meat is close. It’s good not to overcook the beef or it’ll be too chewy. Once the meat is cooked well, add the broccoli and mushrooms and mix it all together. Cook for another hour. Serve over rice.
This has a ton of flavor and it’s delicious. It’s like take out beef and broccoli only you know what’s actually in it! I love it and I think you could make some good variations of it with other veggies.